List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] ATI question
From:       Roger Oberholtzer <roger () opq ! se>
Date:       2009-05-07 10:12:57

On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 04:51 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

> Were it not for this 3D nonsense, we probably would not have Intel drivers
> that are perpetually buggy preventing users from successfully upgrading from
> older versions to 11.1, or other distros' current versions (Fedora 10, Ubuntu
> 9.04, Mandriva 2009.1, Debian 5.0, etc). The video driver situation is just
> an awful mess.

I can agree that it is eye candy - today. But isn't the real goal to
move to having all the drawing be via the 3D hardware? Not just the
fancy frills we see today. The reasoning is, I think, that this will
result in a faster X because it gives over much to hardware rendering
that is done in software today. I would imagine that one major stumbling
block is vendor support. How to do this if cards keep being made
obsolete? I do not think anyone wants to find X in the position of only
running on the latest greatest. So the issue of advanced card support
and the duration of that support does impact on how X develops in
general.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST