List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] ATI question
From:       Roger Oberholtzer <roger () opq ! se>
Date:       2009-05-06 6:14:25

On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 23:30 -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> > I am guessing that the ATI-supplied driver is needed to use Compiz and
> > all that, right? The X.Org RADEONHD driver cannot be used?
> >
> > Too bad ATI dropped support for the FireGL V3300. Is my only option to
> > get a newer card?
> >

> Roger,
>
> 	I'm still working on this as well. I have probably 6-8 computers with what
> were excellent ATI cards until ATI shot the middle finger at all ATI cards more
> than 2 years old.
>
> 	If you are running 11.0, the 8.9 driver is Excellent! for older cards. Some
> even get good results with the 9.3 driver (my box doesn't). If you are running
> 11.1, you are stuck with the 9.3 driver (you can also run the 8-12, 9.1, and
> 9.2 drivers if they work on your hardware)

I'm running 11.1. According to http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Hardware
my chipset lost support as of the 8.40.4 release of the driver. So I
guess I would need one from before that. Any suggestions about a good
release?

> 	As for compiz with the radeon driver, I have an Arch box that I am running the
> radeon driver on because ATI never put out a driver for that distro. So far I
> haven't had any luck with indirect rendering (AIGLX) enabled with the radeon
> driver. I'm not sure whether the issue is the driver or whether I haven't hit
> on the magic combination of driver options and GLX/AIGLX options.
>
> 	I'll post back when/if I hit on a solid combination that works. I don't see
> why you shouldn't be able to run compiz with the radeon driver. Hell, I can run
> compiz on the stock intel driver, so why not the radeon driver??

I have just installed Linux on the box in question, so I have not
fiddled a lot. But I am surprised that even things like Xvideo do not
seem to work. The module is loaded. The X log file makes no complaint.
xdpyinfo lists:

	XVideo

But xvinfo tells:

	X-Video Extension version 2.2
	screen #0
	 no adaptors present

Also, one of the tests for indirect rendering seems to be that glxinfo
does not list:

	OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project

which mine does. This is from
http://en.opensuse.org/Ati#Installation_-_Get_and_Install_ATI_Drivers in