List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Suse Support for Jumbo Frames
From:       Per Jessen <per () opensuse ! org>
Date:       2009-04-23 16:09:41

Dave Feustel wrote:

> I'm running Suse 11 on an MSI K9N NEO Version 3.
> According to the motherboard manual, the lan nic
> is a Realtek RTL8111B which, according to its
> datasheet, supports Jumbo frames to 7422. I have
> not succeeded in setting the mtu to 7422 using
> either ifconfig or the ip command. It's hard to
> believe that Suse 11 doesn't support Jumbo frames.
>
> How are Jumbo Frames enabled in Suse?

Dave, it's not about openSUSE or not - if anything, it's about the
kernel and the driver.  Jumbo-sized frames are enabled in openSUSE
using ifconfig exactly as they are in any other Linux-system.

As for your frame size of 7422, read my previous reply or the driver
source code. It will _not_ support more than 7200.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (13.6 °C)