List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] installing 3 distros into 3 existing partitions-
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () ij ! net>
Date:       2009-04-01 18:20:28

On 2009/04/01 19:49 (GMT+0200) jdd composed:

> Steve Swezy a écrit :

>>> of 'fdisk -l' while booted to Linux.

>> Sorry, don't know how to do that. I'm looking as I type.

> please, if you never used fdisk, don't fiddle with partitions, you
> will probably erase your disk.

'fdisk -l' is a perfectly safe way to convey partitioning information in
answer to a help query. To do damage requires getting fdisk to make an
inappropriate change and then save it to disk.

> be aware that new sata driver don't allow more than 15 partitions gran
> total and most Linux default ask for 3 (root, sawp, home) and only
> swap can be shared between distros.

As of kernel 2.6.28 the libata 15 partition limit is history. I have a
Factory install on a 30 partition system that sees everything just as the
legacy drivers did, other than the names are sdaX instead of hdaX.

> For openSUSE 11.1, heavily used, 10Gb is not enough for root. 15 is
> good, 20 better.

Size is purely a matter of judgement and what you expect do with it. I have
supported versions of openSUSE living on partitions of less than 4.8G. Last I
checked, Ubuntu recommended as little as 3G. For multiboot primarily for the
purpose of testing various distros, smaller is considerably less wasteful,
though on small sizes like this it's best to use a small block size of 1024
instead of accepting the typical default of 2048 or 4096. For a normal
operating /, more than 10G might be grossly wasteful if your personal files,
including temporary media files, all live on a separate /home.

--
"The plans of the diligent lead to profit as surely
as haste leads to poverty."	Proverbs 21:5 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/