List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] /dev/disk/by-uuid ?
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () ij ! net>
Date:       2009-03-31 20:04:16

On 2009/03/31 21:31 (GMT+0200) Carlos E. R. composed:

>> # swapoff -a
>> swapoff: /dev/sda1: Cannot allocate memory

> You have three alternatives:

More than that.

>   - Try switching to text mode (init 3), to reduce the amount of memory in
>     use. If it fails try runlevel 1, which stops all services.

Or just close a memory hogging app or three to free enough RAM that swap is
unnecessary. Just Firefox is probably enough, and certainly OO.org should be
more than enough unless you've got a big leaker open.

>   - Create another swapspace (on file, for example), add it, then remove
>     sda1, use mkswap to recreate it with a label, then revert the process
>     to leave only sda1. After sda1 is activated, change the fstab (the
>     kernel might not see the label till next reboot.

Gross overkill.

>   - Reboot to a live dvd or rescue dvd to do the change while the system is
>     not running - unless the live founds swap space and uses it.

Comment the swap partition line in /etc/fstab, reboot, mkswap -L, uncomment,
swapon -a. Live CDs will typically find and use whatever swap partitions they
find.

I've done this after the fact swap lable setting lots of times, and doubt it
ever took me more than 30 seconds after figuring out the first time.
--
"The plans of the diligent lead to profit as surely
as haste leads to poverty."	Proverbs 21:5 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/