List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] New Skype User Question
From:       Dave Feustel <dfeustel () mindspring ! com>
Date:       2009-03-14 11:23:05

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 08:41:29PM -0700, Joseph Loo wrote:
> Dave Feustel wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 11:38:57AM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> >
> >> On 2009/03/12 23:00 (GMT+0100) Dave Feustel composed:

> >> I don't know. On 10.2 I couldn't get a jack mike to work. I solved my problem
> >> by getting a Skype-compatible Logitech USB headset to use instead.
> >>

> > On 11.0 the mike/headset connected via USB does not work for me.
> > Skype works now that I have plugged the mike into the red jack.
> >
> It sounds like you have not selected the correct microphone in Skype.
> You need to go to the options, audio device. It is the icon you find in
> the lower left hand corner.
>
> --
>
> Joseph Loo
> jloo@acm.org

I discovered that there were two mic inputs yesterday. But the real
problem seems to have been the presence of pulse audio. When I ran
alsamixer there was only one pulseaudio device shown. I used yum to
remove all pulseaudio software. Then alsamixer displayed a whole bunch
of devices, including two mics. Then whenever I ran skype, I got a whole
bunch of messages saying 'unable to open slave'. That message turned out
to be because I had forgotten to exit root mode after running yum.  Once
I went back to user mode, I was able to successfully execute the skype
test message function. :-)