List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Devs wanted? [Was: KDE3-4 did teams change? ]
From:       Scott Newton <scottn () ihug ! co ! nz>
Date:       2008-12-08 4:54:10

On Monday 08 December 2008 16:23:13 Larry Stotler wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 4:03 PM, Scott Newton <scottn@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> > Speed: Seems to be hardware dependent. On some hardware it's faster then
> > KDE3.
>
> No one seems to be posting any of that tho.  I have posted my setups,
> and stated that they were sluggish.  I'm using the nVidia driver for
> my 6200 and the open drivers for my rage/ 128 class chips.

Out of interest which NVIDIA driver? My speed certainly improved when I moved
to the 177.80 and 177.82 drivers with my GeForce 6600 GT. In fact I would say
that now my system is more responsive under KDE4 than KDE3 but I don't have
any hard figures on that - just my perception.

> > Whiz Bang: As stated before -
> > Configure Desktop (Personal Settings) -> Desktop -> Desktop Effects
> > Uncheck  "Enable desktop effects"
>
> Hang on.  Since I don't install compiz, this should not be neccessary,
> correct?  If so, then it's the other stuff that I see as an issue.
> Hopefully, someone will get KPersonalizer ported over so it's just a
> simple one step process.  As I have time with 11.1, I will investigate
> how to reduce the amount of things that Iprefer to do without.

The effects in KDE4 have nothing to do with compiz. They are native to KDE4 -
plugins to KWin in fact. So this does work unless you have installed compiz on
top of KDE4. Not sure what effect that would have but probably not good.

--
Regards
Scott Newton