List:       opensuse
Subject:    KDE4 Workflow (was Re: [opensuse] KDE3-4 did teams change?)
From:       Scott Newton <scottn () ihug ! co ! nz>
Date:       2008-12-07 21:11:05

On Sunday 07 December 2008 05:32:50 Sven Burmeister wrote:
> I work on several projects, which are organised in separate folders, I want
> all of those files on the desktop, grouped by project and showing only the
> relevant files, i.e. office documents and no backup files. I want to
> add/remove those groups easily, i.e. I might have a project that is "on
> hold" and hence that group should not be shown but it should be easy to
> re-add, i.e. I do not want to move/copy any files.

The folder view widget will do this. You can specify both the directory and
the mask.

> I want different sets of files/groups and tools depending on my
> environment, yet not with a different user, because that would just
> duplicate stuff. At work my desktop looks different than at home, i.e.
> different apps on the desktop etc. I want to easily switch form one
> activity to the other.

As you can have multiple views of the same desktop with KDE4 this would be
fairly easy to set up - it's what the Zoom In/ Zoom Out on the Cashew is all
about.

> Since there are more and more widescreens, I want kmail to make use of the
> horizontal space and use a three vertical panes view, e.g. to not have to
> scroll that much when reading an email. Yet that implies that the message
> list has to adapt to the vertical pane, i.e. display subject and author etc
> in two lines, as the pane is not wide enough having all that in one line.

Not sure exactly what you mean but this might help:
Settings -> Configure KMail
Appearance -> Layout
Select Long folder list
Select Show the message preview pane next to the message list
Apply

> When reading mailingslists, I want to group the threads. The problem is
> that a thread might have started 3 weeks ago, yet has a new post as of
> today, I want that thread to be displayed where the most recent post would
> be shown, if I did not enable threading.

Not sure if this one is possible but I don't fully understand the question.

> In order to get more efficient when searching for a certain topic and hence
> want to tag all my files, e.g. office documents, films etc., like I do with
> my music in amarok or photos in digikam already.

Dolphin allows you to tag files. You can then use Nepomuk to index the files and
sort appropriately.

Hope this helps.

--
Regards