List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Suse on an EeePC (still)
From:       Allen <lists () iisys ! com ! au>
Date:       2008-08-05 23:07:49

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 08:36 +0200, Neil wrote:
> On 8/3/08, John Layt <johnlayt@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> > On Sunday 03 August 2008, Neil wrote:
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > First some background: I was trying to get Suse on my EeePC a

I have installed OpenSUSE 11.0 onto an EeePC 900.  Unfortunately I had
to return it because the keyboard stopped working, so I can't refer to
it now.

The xorg.conf didn't recognise the screen dimensions properly, but the
suggestions on the web helped fix it.  From memory, all I needed was a
line in the monitor definition saying the resolution was 1024x600.

> In that case I have some questions:
> Did you use the CD or the DVD?

The stuff on en.opensuse.org seemed more for the early models, and
didn't really use the 20GB SSD in the 900.  So, I basically assumed this
was a standard PC (it is) and just went with a normal install using an
external DVD drive.

> Did you heve a working internet connection when installing?

Neither the wired or wireless internet worked out of the box.  But it
was a trivial matter to use a thumbdrive to get the wired working, add
the required repositories (appleonkel) and then get the wireless
working.

> Did you install the Madwifi drivers manually?

>From memory I had to add the Madwifi repository to get the wireless
working because the module has changed since the early models.

> What is your paritioning?

I went with a 4GB Ext3 / partition then on the second 16GB module I
had /usr and /home, but no swap.  I also added 'noatime' to the fstab
options.  Various places on the net suggested that continuously writing
to the SSD will shorten its life.  Not sure by how much.  Once the
system was up and running it responded fine - no noticable lag in
processing, but the boot times were very slow compared to the original
OS.

The system still suspended and hibernated nicely - I just wish I could
remember how I did it :-)

> Can you boot without an external USB stick?

I didn't try this, although the external DVD drive worked fine.

> What are the Appelonkel repros?

Have a look on the http://software.opensuse.org/search site and search
'eee' and you will find appleonkel.  The repository lists a couple of
extra modules needed to support the unique hardware and function keys on
the EeePC.  The only things I couldn't get working properly were the
microphone and camera for Skype - but then I only had it for a weekend.
A bit more tweaking and it would have been working, I think.

Next week I should get an EeePC 901, but I am unsure if I will install
openSUSE on it or not.  One thing I found was the boot times were much
slower than the original OS - and this is one of the appealing features
of the EeePC.  Plus, with all the stuffing around to get the additional
hardware to work just so that I can have Linux running - but hey, it
already was.

HTH.

Allen