List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Suse on an EeePC (still)
From:       John Layt <johnlayt () yahoo ! com ! au>
Date:       2008-08-05 21:11:05

On Tuesday 05 August 2008, Neil wrote:
> Hi John
>
> In that case I have some questions:
> Did you use the CD or the DVD?
> Did you heve a working internet connection when installing?
> Did you install the Madwifi drivers manually?
> What is your paritioning?
> Can you boot without an external USB stick?
> What are the Appelonkel repros?
>
> Could you please try a command like "make TEST" in console (only works
> as root) to test wether make is working? (there must be better ways,
> but I do not know them)
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil

Hi Neil,

I basically followed the 'Installation from two USB drives' method described
at http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_on_the_EeePC to install openSuse 11.0 to
the SSD without Xandros, but with my own twist in the method.

I've used both the DVD and CD install media to do installs based on the size
of the USB stick I had to hand, but my current eee install was done off the
DVD as I needed to install wvdial which (from memory) isn't on the CD.  It's
also better to use the DVD as it has all the devel stuff on it such as make
and gcc and kernel source you don't get from the CD if you need it (which you
don't), or if you want XFCE instead of KDE/Gnome.  I followed the instructions
at http://en.opensuse.org/SuSE_install_from_USB_drive to create the bootable
USB stick, then did the full install.

For the drivers, I'm lucky in having a mobile internet dongle, so was able to
connect directly to the net using wvdial and added the Appleonkel repo at
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/appleonkel:/EEE/openSUSE_11.0_Update/
into Yast to grab the required drivers.  What you will need to do is have
these already downloaded on a second USB memory stick or SD card so you can
manually install them from the command line using 'rpm -Uvh'.  You don't need
to install all the packages, as half of them are for kernels you don't have
like pae and xen or are debug packages, just grab all the 'kmp-default' ones,
the 'eeeEvents' one and 'madwifi-ng' one.  You can skip the section
Improvements as the Appelonkel packages takes care of most of that for you.

One caveat, having a mobile internet dogle means I haven't actually physically
connected to a network using Ethernet or Wifi, but the system reports them as
there and sees wireless networks, so I assume it works OK.  I also haven't
tried suspend as yet, so can't vouch for that.

One gotcha to watch for when booting after install is it waits forever while
trying to find a network, just ctrl-c for force it to skip that.  Once the
drivers are installed it no longer does that.

For partitioning, I used to have an 8Gb SD card that I used as 2Gb swap (I
have 2Gb RAM) and 6Gb home, with all 4Gb of the SSD used for root.  However,
because the SD card doesn't work under openSuse, I'm currently running with
just the 4Gb SSD as / with no swap.

No, no usb key dangling off the side when booting, but then I'm running
openSuse from off the SSD.

Hope that helps you.

John.

P.S. My eee 901 20Gb supposedly ships Friday, so I'll be repeating the process
next week and will update with any issues I find :-)