List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Suse on an EeePC (still)
From:       Neil <hok.krat () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-08-05 6:36:24

On 8/3/08, John Layt <johnlayt@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Sunday 03 August 2008, Neil wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > First some background: I was trying to get Suse on my EeePC a while
> > back, but crashed as the CD I used didn't have Make, so I couldn't
> > install the Madwifidrivers and so I couldn't get the network active
> > and thus couldn't install make....(see this thread:
> > The following site was suggested:
> > http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_on_the_EeePC . I tried the first
> > version since it promises to boot without an USB stick and that is
> > exactly what I want.
> > I tried it and had the following problem: When booting from USB the
> > Eee posts "GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB" and so forth on the screen (just
> > like 10 echo "GRUB" 20 goto 10" would do).
> >
> > Does annywone have an idea what this could possibly mean?
> >
> > Thanks for your time
> >
> > Neil
>
> Hi Neil,
>
> Can't help you with the GRUB error, but just to confirm that I do have
> openSuse 11.0 installed on my eee using the bootable USB stick method and
> appelonkel repos, no compiling needed.  Works smooth as.
>
> John.

Hi John

In that case I have some questions:
Did you use the CD or the DVD?
Did you heve a working internet connection when installing?
Did you install the Madwifi drivers manually?
What is your paritioning?
Can you boot without an external USB stick?
What are the Appelonkel repros?

Could you please try a command like "make TEST" in console (only works
as root) to test wether make is working? (there must be better ways,
but I do not know them)

Thanks

Neil

> --

There are two kinds of people:
1. People who start their arrays with 1.
1. People who start their arrays with 0.