List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] KDE 4.1
From:       "John Andersen" <jsamyth () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-07-31 22:52:11

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 3:04 PM, John Layt <johnlayt@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>> > System Settings > Desktop > Multiple Desktops
>>
>> Why was this removed from the oh so bland and conventional right click on
>> the desktop >configure desktop popup? Little arbitrary crap like that
>> *discourages* many....
>
> Try right click on the Pager applet in the Panel and choose Configure
> Desktops, which seems a far more intuitive place for it to be.

Intuitive to who?  A mac user with only one mouse button?

Every other desktop system Ive used (or YOU've used, I dare say) has
the configuration option
available by a right click on the desktop itself.  Not some pager,
which many people
do not even use.  (Oops, can't turn the pager off can we?)

Why hide this functionality? Isn't that one of the big hits on vista,
the lengths to
which MS went to hide and re-hide basic functionality?

> But I'm not sure I understand your use case here, can you explain more?  How
> can having different wallpapers help you find which desktop an app is open on?
> I can see it helping when you are on a desktop and want to know which one it
> is (unless like me you run everything either fully maximised or multiple
> windows arranged to use all the desktop), but not in what you describe above.
> I just look at the pager to see which desktop is highlighted to tell me where
> I am, and have the pager Display Window Icons option enabled to see what apps
> I have in which desktop.

Lets assume the OP posts his use of this feature.  Lets assume you
don't agree with his
solution.  Does that mean its less valid?

For instance, I have root shells open on several
different boxes at once at one of my work stations.  Everything for
the RED company
has a red background wallpaper.  BLUE company ditto.
Mouse wheel over desktop switches desktop is checked.  Very fast to
find blue company's
ssh shell and monitor windows, etc.  No reading.  Just roll mouse till
color is right.

Those capabilities were added to prior versions for a REASON. Similar
capabilities were
added to Gnome, FCE4, and every other competent desktop.

Why abandon them and then get all pissy when people bitch? Why not
start with what you
have and expand on that instead of starting over with each new
release.  What would
Linus do? Would he re-write the kernel from the ground up for a new
release?  Would he
hide functionality just to be different with total disregard for user
efficiency?