List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] KDE 4.1
From:       John Layt <johnlayt () yahoo ! com ! au>
Date:       2008-07-31 22:04:49

On Wednesday 30 July 2008, kanenas@hawaii.rr.com wrote:
> > > can't find a way to change the number of desktops
> >
> > System Settings > Desktop > Multiple Desktops
>
> Why was this removed from the oh so bland and conventional right click on
> the desktop >configure desktop popup? Little arbitrary crap like that
> *discourages* many....

Try right click on the Pager applet in the Panel and choose Configure
Desktops, which seems a far more intuitive place for it to be.  There is a
distinction made between configuring an individual desktop and configuring the
number of desktops, albeit the first is not fully implemented yet.  The first
you are likely to want to do fairly often, the second only once in a blue
moon.

I didn't know it was there, it just took me 2 seconds to make an educated
guess and have a look for it.  Really, it's not that hard, it just takes a
willingness to try new stuff, which is where we all first started with KDE,
right?

> > > or put a different background on one of the two existing ones,
> >
> > Not included yet.  Last I read it's planned for a future release.
>
> That can *not* be a big technical issue, yet it can be rather irritating.
> What's the use of having 5 desktops if one has to sift thru all 5 in order
> to find an open app? different wallpaper is almost essential once you go
> past 2 desktops

Planned for 4.2, it's not just setting a different wallpaper per desktop, but
will also enable you to set a different theme per desktop to really make the
difference clear.  I think you will even be able to have different Panel and
Applet configurations for each desktop, but don't quote me on that.  So it is
a big technical issue, one I'd say is worth a minor inconvenience for now.

But I'm not sure I understand your use case here, can you explain more?  How
can having different wallpapers help you find which desktop an app is open on?
I can see it helping when you are on a desktop and want to know which one it
is (unless like me you run everything either fully maximised or multiple
windows arranged to use all the desktop), but not in what you describe above.
I just look at the pager to see which desktop is highlighted to tell me where
I am, and have the pager Display Window Icons option enabled to see what apps
I have in which desktop.

John.