List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Wireless network setup
From:       "Mark A. Taff" <marktaff () comcast ! net>
Date:       2008-07-23 20:49:27

On Wednesday 23 July 2008 12:12:03 Bogdan Cristea wrote:
> Thank you for this tutorial, it's well written.
> However, in my case even if 'iwlist wlan0 scan' returns several cells,
> I am unable to connect to my router. After 'iwconfig wlan0 essid
> my_essid', the output of 'iwconfig wlan0' looks like this:
> wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"my_essid"
>           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point:
> 00:1D:7E:FA:F5:FC Tx-Power=27 dBm
>           Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2352 B
>           Encryption key:off
>           Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
>
>  Link Quality, Signal level and Noise level are all zero. Why am I
> able to scan the network, but unable to connect to a chosen cell?
> Should I consider to use a different driver (with ndiswrapper)?
>
> --
> Bogdan Cristea

Bogdan,

Don't forget to ask for an IP address. ;-)

Here is a little script I wrote to help me connect to my college wireless
network.  It may help you.

The script is run as root.  Name it whatever you want (in my case,
bcc-connect).

To connect to the default hard-coded essid, just incant `bcc-connect`

To connect to any other essid, just incant `bcc-connect <essid-to-connect-to>`

To change the default hard-coded essid, edit the line:

	 iwconfig eth1 essid "Student-Wireless"

Note that using dhclient is *far* more reliable than dhcpcd for unknown
reasons.

HTH,

Mark

<code>

root@pacifica:/root/bin> cat bcc-connect
#!/bin/sh
#
# Copyright (c) 2008 Mark A. Taff <marktaff@comcast.net>
#
# This script connects to the BCC student wireless network.

# Try setting essid to empty string first to ensure
# the same starting conditions, perhaps fix a poorly defined bug
# in Linux or in BCC's wireless
iwconfig eth1 essid ""
sleep 2

if [ $1 ]; then
        # Connect to essid passed in, or
        iwconfig eth1 essid "$1"
else
        # default to BCC's network
        iwconfig eth1 essid "Student-Wireless"
fi

# Get IP address
#dhclient eth1 > /dev/null 2>&1 &
dhclient eth1

# Try to connect
#iwconfig eth1 essid "Student-Wireless"
#dhcpcd eth1 &
#dhclient eth1 &
#dhclient eth1 > /dev/null 2>&1 &
# stdout (fd 1) to null, stderr (fd 2) to same place (addressof) fd 1, do all
in bg
root@pacifica:/root/bin>

</code>