List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] dead usb
From:       John <john_82 () tiscali ! co ! uk>
Date:       2008-07-21 13:46:03

On Monday 21 July 2008 13:23:02 Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
> Sampsa Riikonen wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am experiencing this weird problem with my laptop's
> > usb ports..
> >
> > If I do not plug in my usb mouse before booting,
> > it stays "dead", i.e. does not work at all, no light,
> > anything.
> >
> > If I have plugged it before booting, it works
> > ok, but after the system is up, if I remove
> > it and try to plug it back, it is again "dead".
> >
> > And quite randomly, my usb ports refuse to recognize
> > a usb memory stick..
> >
> > You can find the dmesg output here:
> >
> > http://users.tkk.fi/~sriikone/dmesg.txt
> >
> > I am running suse 10.3 (32-bit version) on
> > hp tx1000 (amd 64-bit dual core processor)
> >
> > If you remember, long time ago I was asking
> > about sporadic hard locks that occurred on my laptop
> > and now I am passing the following options to grub
> > (from /boot/grub/menu.lst):
> > -------------------------------
> > ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
> > title openSUSE 10.3 - 2.6.22.17-0.1 - hard lock debug
> >     root (hd0,5)
> >     kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.17-0.1-default
> > root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST9160821AS_5MA6DMFC-part6 vga=0x317
> > resume=/dev/sda5 splash=silent showopts nohpet nolapic noapic
> > apic=verbose
> >     initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.17-0.1-default
> > ------------------------------
> > I suppose this has something to do with apic ?
>
> I would post your /etc/fstab as maybe someone can identify an error
> there? Unless of course you have fixed it as this post is a week old?
>
> Regards
> Hylton

I had a similar problem with my last set up but on suse 10.1 I found that I
could often plug something into a usb socket and it would be recognised and
would function. If I removed it  and later plugged it in again it wouldn't
work and there seemed to be no power on the socket. This could be cured by a
reboot. As this only started happening many many months after I started using
10.1 I wondered if it was some sort of power save feature that had gone wrong
or had been interfered with by an upgrade.  It could also have been a board
fault/compatability problem but I had no problems at all while running a
knoppix cd.  These were usb1 sockets. A knoppix cd may help you determine if
your problem is software or hardware related.

Since then I have installed 10.3 on a new pc and haven't had any problems at
all. The new board is usb2 through out.

John