List:       opensuse
Subject:    [opensuse] OpenSuSE 11 Beta RC1 won't install
From:       Gary Baribault <gary () baribault ! net>
Date:       2008-06-04 22:34:54

Gary Baribault
Courriel: gary@baribault.net
GPG Key: 0x4346F013
GPG Fingerprint: BCE8 2E6B EB39 9B23 6904 1DF4 C4E6 2CF7 4346 F013

Hello all .. I've been trying OpenSuSE 11 Beta 1-3 and RC1 on a couple
of desktops here and have yet to get any of them to install ... I
checked the MD5 on RC1 that I have and it's fine. The first machine is a
Pentium 4 with 768Meg of memory and a single IDE drive. The system was
running Windows XP until recently when I replaced it for my daughter. It
has a DVD burner in it and nothing much more. The second machine is a
brand new ASUS AMD Opteron 64 dual core, but I was installing the 32bit
version. This system has two SATA drives and an IDE DVD burner as well
and has 2 Gigs of memory. In both cases the install starts up and I do
all of the config / Format/selection of software, then all confirmations
and starts installing packages. At some point on random RPMs it stops
with the message about corupted packages and restarts the installation
process in text mode. This restart fails as well. Beta 1-3 didn't get
that far but I don't care about them any more.

I tried burning 2 other DVDs, tried replacing the DVD readers, tried a
network install from an FTP server I have here, same thing, but the
failure is not on the same package every time.

If this was on only one system, or on only one DVD reader I would
understand, but nope .. I even deleted and re-downloaded the ISO to see
if the MD5 was wrong, but to no avail. I'm really stumped here, any
suggestions?