List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Configuring the KDE desktop...
From:       Anders Johansson <ajh () rydsbo ! net>
Date:       2008-02-29 21:46:37

On Friday 29 February 2008 22:39:53 Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> Anders Johansson wrote:
> >>>
> >>  > wide defaults.
> >>
> >> That would be a good solution, too.
> >>
> >> A system-wide configuration, comparable to files like:
> >>
> >> /etc/bash.bashrc
> >> /etc/csh.login
> >> /etc/csh.cshrc
> >> /etc/ksh.kshrc
> >> /etc/profile
> >
> > Well, the files are already there. Settings in /etc/opt/kde3/share/config
> > will be used if there is nothing in the user's own home directory. So if
> > you don't have your own kickerrc, the one in the global directory will be
> > used
> >
> > And if you do have a kickerrc, but don't have a particular variable
> > configured that is configured in the global version of the file, it will
> > be picked up from there.
>
> Does KDE read /etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kickerrc
> before reading ~/.kde/share/config/kickerrc?
>
> What if the same variable is set in both places?
>
> Does the the kickerrc in the user's kickerrc override
> the setting in the system kickerrc?

Yes

> Is there a way for the system admin to "lock" a variable
> so that users can't change it?  (My guess is no, since
> that tends to violate the whole spirit of both Unix, and of
> Linux even more.)

Yes, you can lock it down. It's called "kiosk mode", the main intention is for
machines in public places, where you don't want just anybody changing the
settings. There is a tool for it, called kiosktool, where you can set what a
user should be allowed to change

I'm told it's also popular in some companies for their internal desktops, but
that's a use I like less

Anders
--
Madness takes its toll