List:       opensuse
Subject:    [opensuse] remote update and house keeping
From:       jdd <jdd () dodin ! org>
Date:       2008-02-29 14:35:17

There are more and more hosting services that gives the possibility to
manage a computer in professional environment for affordable price

For example, I loan at http://www.kimsuffi.com a 250Mb ram, 160Gb Hdd
computer for as little as euros 20 a month.

there are a large bunch of windows and Linux systems available here,
including openSUSE 10.2

My question is how will I be allowed to update this distribution when
official update will be over in a year or so.

I asked the same thing on they forum and will follow here the answer.

But we can already think about it.

openSUSE is offered there pré-installed with basics settings and all
the other work is done remotely. There is a "recovery console" that
allows nearly what allow the opensuse recovery cd and allow to reset
the system.

As you see, the problem here is "remotely". I have no possibility to
go there and insert a dvd in a slot. I have no choice to use SLES.

If, by example, I managed to update to 10.3, or if the 10.3 basic cd
was made available in the recovery console (or simply the mini cd),
how can I update? is it possible without too many risks?

we could eventually think at what kind of tools we could provide to
ease such thing, I beg, seing the price, that more and more customers
are going to use this.

Of course I can backup and reinstall, but installing such things like
mail is still not simple for me, and if I happened to have to upload
again more than 100Mb, this is not easy (my link from my house to the
net is only 1Mb, my dl is 12Mb, kimsuffi is 100Mb symetric)

thanks
jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net