List:       opensuse
Subject:    RE: [opensuse] Will there be a LTS version of OpenSuse?
From:       Philip Dowie <philip.dowie () integrationworks ! co ! nz>
Date:       2008-02-28 18:51:21

> So you're saying that opensuse is not used to generate sales
> of SLES or SLED in the long run?  If that's the case, then
> how does that fit with the statement that opensuse is an
> IMPORTANT PART of SuSE's revenue structure?
>
> You're missing the forest for the trees.
>
> The idea is to get the IT departments of businesses to try
> openSUSE before committing to the steeper price of SLED or SLES.

openSUSE is important as a test bed.   Any business that is happy for their IT \
department to experiment with their servers in this way will be happy with openSUSE \
and won't bother upgrading to SLES or SLED.  The target market of SLES and SLED are \
Enterprises, who inherently are highly resistant to any change whatsoever and won't \
bother with an experimental stage with a product that changes all the time, and \
besides - you can get SLES and SLED software itself for free, and also 60 days access \
to the update service.  Either Novell Sales will sell them after the trial period of \
SLES/SLED, or they won't, but you can guarantee the only copy of openSUSE installed \
will be an unauthorized one.

And just to be pedantic, the statement that openSUSE is an important part of SUSE's \
revenue structure wasn't actually made by me, so my statements don't have to agree \
with it ;-)