List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] JACK Problem
From:       Wolfgang Woehl <tito () rumford ! de>
Date:       2008-02-28 17:08:39

Donnerstag, 28. Februar 2008 Jesse Shaver:
> I am running SuSE 10.3 on a Thinkpad X61
>
> I am trying to get JACK to work. I am using the Jack Audio
> Connection Kit (qjackctl). Running it as root, when I try to start
> Jack, I get the following output.

Hi Jesse, actually there is no need whatsoever to run jack as root.
opensuse 10.3 has all the mechanisms in place to give non-root users
acccess to the kernel's realtime capabilities. That said ...

> 17:49:09.138 /usr/bin/jackd -v -dalsa -r42000 -p1024 -n2 -D -Chw:0

Shouldn't be the problem but do you really want -r 42000? I don't know
of sound devices that do 42000.

> /dev/shm/jack-0 already exists, but is not a directory!

Do you have a zombie jack around? Please say "l /dev/shm/"

> I also get this in the console when I run qjackctl:
> Warning: no locale found: /usr/share/locale/qjackctl_en_US.qm

I get the same for de_DE here. Never bothered to check though as there
is no problem, just that warning.

Wolfgang