List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] KDE4
From:       "Rajko M." <rmatov101 () charter ! net>
Date:       2008-02-18 1:47:06

On Sunday 17 February 2008 02:22:20 pm Hudibras wrote:

> Yes. Thanks for your information. But this reinforces my opinion that
> release of kde4 intented as a new desktop has been very soon.
> I have not in mind now what specific applications fails or which not;
> what are these issues and what not; but generally speaking the feeling
> is that it's not finished yet and that there are too many work left to
> do.

That attitude finished - not finished is OK in closed development where
company set goals, write them in product specifications, develope and test
it, and customer comes in when all is done.

The opensource is public development where developers need users to test
software as it is developed.

If we would wait kernel to be finished and than start to use it, than kernel
would be playgorund for developers forever and no user will ever get chance
to use it. The same is valid for any other opensource project. If you look
KDE3, is it finished? Where are specifications written before KDE development
started that we can take and compare with resulting software?

> When all new things still in development you speak of are completely
> made, that would be the D-Day.

As mentioned, if everybody will wait than there will be no D day.

> Meanwhile, I wait...

Wait for what? Others to write and test software.
I guess it would be fair to take your part in the development process.
Use it and complain about things that you don't like.

--
Regards, Rajko.
See http://en.opensuse.org/Portal