List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] ATI Radeon FireGL V5200, IBM/Lenovo Z61p, X won't start (SOLVED, partially)
From:       Verner =?iso-8859-1?q?Kj=E6rsgaard?= <vk () os-academy ! dk>
Date:       2008-02-12 14:12:54

Tirsdag den 12. Februar 2008 skrev Verner Kjærsgaard:
> Hi list,
>
> - SUSE10.3/KDE/plain vanilla.
>
> I just downloaded from the ATI-driver site,
> the "ati-driver-installer-8.443.1-x86.x86_64.run"
>
> I switched to runlevel 3 and installed it. Without a hitch. (I tried from
> within X also, same results as below stated...)
>
> From within a terminal window, as root, I do:
>
> aticonfig --initial
>
> - this goes well, it modifies xorg.conf and all.
>
> When I subsequently start X, my entire machine goes into a black, dead
> state. Black screen, all terminals are dead. Network is alive, I can SSH
> into machine. Here, as root, "init 3" doesn't do anything. Only the
> wintendo solution works...hold the off keydown to switch it off. Then, when
> booting, set it to boot into level 3. I'm back into text mode. I may now
> copy my old (I DID save it) xorg.conf file into place and start X. But
> that's not much fun.
>
> When I do: lspci, I get:
>  01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M56GL [Mobility
> FireGL V5200]
>
> I done my Google :-), no vail...Any hints...??

- problem partially solved...

- I found this driver...: ati-driver-installer-8-01-x86.x86_64.run
- this one runs. I think it gives me 3D accel. Don't really know, 'cause after
installing compiz, I don't have the "Compiz Fusion Icon" in my menu
structure? The two others are there (CompizConfig and Emarald Theme).

And I can't find compiz-manager on the system...

SIgh...