List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] USB Modem, wvdial not redialing
From:       Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00 () hotpop ! com>
Date:       2008-01-31 22:51:30

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> El 2008-02-01 a las 00:56 +0530, umesh b escribió:
>
> (You forgot to email to the list)
>
>> On Jan 30, 2008 6:27 PM, Carlos E. R. <> wrote:
>
>>> I never buy modems with propietary software. Now you know why. >:-)
>>
>> actually the modem was provided by the local telco..and the driver CD
>> was only for Win.. :-(
>> However being a USB modem i tried to use it in Linux. Its actually a
>> USB CDMA modem, ZTE make.. model AC8700
>
> The fact is that, if the modem requires a driver, it is not a standard
> modem and you will have problems making it work under linux. I have no

Remember, Carlos, even plain-jane external modems that plug into
a traditional serial port require a "driver" in Windows...

if I were him, I would just try catting the /dev/whatever file
that the modem shows up as, and see if it responds.

Try some Hayes standard things, like:

ATD telephone_number_here         # AT = Attention D=dial

If that works, then he should just try using it the same as
if it were plugged into /dev/ttyS0.