List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] compiz-fusion all white screen after 2.6.22.16-0.1
From:       Nate Pearlstein <npearl () sgi ! com>
Date:       2008-01-31 17:36:34

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 12:21 -0500, Mike Coan wrote:
> Nate,
>
> > I don't speak for SGI in this forum.
> >
> > So I upgraded the kernel and nvidia on my workstation this morning.
> >
> > Now compiz-fusion turns the screen completely white.  I had tried some
> > of the suggestions for the nvidia black window problem a while back and
> > even now after backing those out I still get a white screen.
> >
> > What is good data to collect to get to the bottom of this?
> >
> > Anything besides the obvious, xorg.conf nvidia model and rpms installed?
>
> I have opensuse 10.3 at work and at home.  At work I never get the white cube,
> but at home I get it all the time.  The remedy for home machine is to remove
> the file
>
> /home/mikecoan/,kde/share/config/ksmserverrc
>
> I have no idea why this works or why I need to do it on my home machine but
> not my work machine. My home machine is 32bit as opposed to 64 bit at work,
> and the home machine video card is older, the nvidai 5200fx,
>
> My procedure at home is to boot to runlevel 3.  That gives mea chance to
> remove the above file before I run startx.
>
> I hope this solution helps you.  I have the latest nvidia driver and compiz
> fusion.
>
> Mike
>
> --
> Michael A. Coan
> Woodlawn Foundation
> 524 North Avenue, Suite 203
> New Rochelle, NY 10801-3410
> Tel 914-632-3778
> Fax 914-632-5502

I don't speak for SGI in this forum.

Well I don't use kde, or at least haven't for a while:

-rw------- 1 npearl users 42 2007-02-24 16:57 ksmserverrc

At any rate,  I followed the various direction for disabling compiz and
xgl.  Removed the rpms.  Completely re-did my xorg.conf.  Its somewhat
messy as I use twinview.  Then I did the one-click install again.  I had
to run the command to reactivate xgl again and now its working...

Go figure.

--
Sent from my wired giant hulking workstation

Nate Pearlstein - npearl@sgi.com - Product Support Engineer