List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Problems with KDE-4.0
From:       John Layt <johnlayt () yahoo ! com ! au>
Date:       2008-01-15 23:10:34

On Sunday 13 January 2008, Frank Fiene wrote:
> I've installed version 4.0 from
>
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4/openSUSE_10.3/
>
> but main programs don't work.
>
> So there is no Kmail, kopete has no services, i cannot scan my music
> files with amarok on a network drive. Amarok has no mysql support and
> so on and so on!
>
> Many problems, also i cannot change my kicker setup, there is only this
> ugly taskbar with this big icons. Icons on desktop are not aligned.
>
> Any other?

KMail 4 (and all the PIM module apps) will not be released until 4.1, carry on
using KMail 3 instead.

Amarok 4 is not even part of the main KDE project and have their own release
schedule, Amarok 2 is still at least 3 to 6 months away.  Continue using
Amarok 1 instead.

Kopete, dunno, works fine for me with most services available (there, I said
it).  Kopete developers have stated this is jut a quick port with full new
version coming in 4.1.

Kicker is not kicker anymore, its Plasma, and it has been widely advertised
that the config toolbox is not ready for it yet, expect it in 4.0.1 or 4.0.2.

All officially released apps are working fine for me (there, said it again).
The apps and the libraries are in great shape, the desktop just needs a
little more polish.  This has all been widely advertised that 4.0 would not
bee feature equivalent to 3.5.8, if you can't cope with a 0.0 release then
stick with the stable 3 branch.

John.