List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Real-Time Kernal Questions
From:       Kevin Donnelly <kevin () dotmon ! com>
Date:       2007-12-20 19:16:44

On Thursday 20 December 2007 17:41, Hans Witvliet wrote:
> For real RT-applications, you should want to avoid unneeded IRQ's at all
> time: barebone, no graphics (but serial console), no virtualisation, no
> add-on hardware and as much as possible unneeded io on your mobo
> disabled.

Well, as Wolfgang has already pointed out, there is a whole class of audio
stuff that is crying out for an RT kernel - the one Jacklab did for 10.2 is
quite good, and setting one up for Debian/Ubuntu is reasonably simple too (or
you can use dedicated distros like Daniel James' estimable 64Studio).  This
area has been developing rapidly over the last 18 months, and I tend to agree
with Wolfgang that Novell/openSUSE is missing a trick (ie influential market
segment) here, especially given the excellent packaging work on audio apps
already being done by Tony Graffy and others on Packman.  For audio work, you
certainly need a graphics system, and there may be a need for some add-on
hardware too :-) (and certainly a decent audio card).

--
Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly

www.klebran.org.uk - Gwirydd gramadeg rhydd i'r Gymraeg