List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] vmware and fake scsi devs
From:       Catimimi <catimimi () libertysurf ! fr>
Date:       2007-12-05 6:54:17

kanenas@hawaii.rr.com a écrit :
> On Tuesday 04 December 2007 06:33:33 am Catimimi wrote:
>
>> kanenas@hawaii.rr.com a écrit :
>>
>>> It seems there is one major downside to all the disks being "called" scsi
>>> devices in 10.3. There are applications that take /dev/scx literally as a
>>> scsi disk x. One such application is vmware. This ended being a major
>>> problem when i tried to use a raw partition as a physical vmware disk on
>>> my laptop. The actual disk is an ide device, but the first partition in
>>> my Suse 10.3 install is called /dev/sda1 and that is what it passes to
>>> vmware as the actual physical disk. Vmware has for a long time stated
>>> that it does not boot from physical scsi devices and thus it keels over
>>> when it sees that the raw device is scsi.
>>> Is there an easy way to pass the actual partition type to vmware
>>> (workstation 4.x or server 1.x) in 10.3 or do i go back to 10.2?
>>> thanks,
>>> d.
>>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I use VMware with SuSE for years, now it is VMware 6 with openSUSE 10.3 .
>> I always boot VMware with physical SCSI drives and it works !
>> Furthermore, with VMware you can configure so that the first IDE unit is
>> your sdx drive
>> and it will work. So no problem at all.
>>
>> Michel.
>>

> Michael,
> in my case i have an ide disk that is being called an scsi device by libata,
> so vmware does not know how to deal with it, i think... But I i would be very
> interested in your setup. How do you use the physical drives? Are they dual
> boot (direct boot and as vms thru vmware)? are the partitions full
> functioning operating systems when they are selected as vms or are they
> created after a physical disk is picked in a vm setup and then the os is
> installed? any other info would also be appreciated. if you think it goes off
> topic, please email directly.
> thanks,
> d.

Hello,

In my config, I've 3 drives :
- the first one is SATA called sda, on it you find multiboot with Vista
native and openSUSE native.
- the second one is SATA called sda, on it you find Vista for VMware and
data.
- the third one is IDE called sdc

First I don't use the same partition for Vista native and Vista VMware,
since the two machines have
different hardware the activation will be broken each time you switch
between the two machines.
My VMware partition was installed from scratch on the SCSI disk, in
order to do that you've to load
the VMware SCSI driver at install.

Second, as I think that the geometry of IDE disks and SATA could be
different, I always declare
my IDE disks as IDE even if they are called sdx by Linux.
In order to do that I've the following lines in my config file :

______________________________________

floppy0.present = "TRUE"

floppy0.fileName = "/home/mgarnier/vmware/Vista/vmscsi-1.2.0.4.flp"
floppy0.fileName = "/dev/fd0"

# this is in order to be able to load the vmware scsi driver at install

#floppy0.fileType = "file"
#floppy0.fileType = "device"

ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
ide0:0.fileName = "/dev/sr0"                           # DVDRW
ide0:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"
ide0:0.startConnected = "TRUE"

ide0:1.present = "TRUE"
ide0:1.fileName = "/dev/sr1"                           # DVD
ide0:1.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"
ide0:1.startConnected = "TRUE"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.fileName = "sdcpart"                             # IDE disk

ide1:0.mode = "independent-persistent"
ide1:0.deviceType = "rawDisk"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.virtualdev = "lsilogic"

scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.fileName = "/dev/sg7"                        # SCSI CDROM
scsi0:0.writeThrough = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.deviceType = "scsi-passthru"

scsi0:1.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:1.fileName = "sdbpart"                           # SATA disk 2,
note that it is declared first since the active VMware partition is on it
scsi0:1.mode = "independent-persistent"
scsi0:1.deviceType = "rawDisk"
scsi0:1.redo = ""

scsi0:2.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:2.fileName = "sdapart"                           # SATA disk 1
scsi0:2.mode = "independent-persistent"
scsi0:2.deviceType = "rawDisk"
scsi0:2.redo = ""

I boot on a SATA disk, but you can choose to install the system on the
IDE disk as well.

Hoping it'll help.

Regards
Michel.