List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Any "Cut and Paste" HOWTO's?
From:       Russell Jones <russell.jones () cas ! ox ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2007-11-30 12:59:03

Chris Worley wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2007 3:34 AM, Will Stephenson <wstephenson@suse.de> wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 27 November 2007 23:34:23 Chris Worley wrote:
>>
>>> From my limited testing, killing klipper seems to do the trick... the
>>> behavior becomes predictable.  Acroread is still an issue, but that's
>>> probably application specific.
>>>
>> Does copying with Klipper running from KPDF to another app work for you?
>>
>> A matrix of "from-app" "to-app" "result" and "Klipper running" would be nice
>> if anyone has the time.  Klipper is a useful tool (multiple selections,
>> persistent selection after from-app closes, and actions on selecting URLs)
>> and if there is a problem I'd like to fix it.
>>
> Will,
>
> First, I had an instance today where what I had copied didn't get
> pasted... and klipper wasn't running.
>
> It isn't an application/window matrix: even shells of the same konsole
> sometimes won't paste in one shell what was cut in another.
>
> Back in the early 90's I contributed to an  app called XHydra, which
> allowed multiple machines to be controlled from the same keyboard and
> mouse (i.e. touch the right border of one machines display, and pop
> into the left border of the adjacent machines display).  I
> specifically worked on the cut&paste part, and found that the machines
> needed to be time-synchronized "exactly" in order for the X cut&paste
> mechanism to work as expected.
>
> This feels very much like that timing issue where all machines would
> paste what was in the cut buffer of the machine with the most advanced
> time, even though the user had since copied something from a machine
> whose time was not as advanced.
>
> There was even one occasion when I had cut & pasted successfully, then
> went to paste  the same thing again, and the second paste reverted
> back to what was previously cut!
>
> Chris
>
>> Will

One thing I've observed with cut and paste under X is that if the source
application is closed, cut or copied text won't paste. Presumably this
is because the paste event asks the originating app. for the text. I'd
think this is probably not the cause here, but I just thought I'd throw
it in to the mix.

Russell Jones