List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Digital Camera support
From:       Jonathan Ervine <jervine () novell ! com>
Date:       2007-06-30 13:36:09

On Friday 29 June 2007 19:34:55 Pete Connolly wrote:
> Marcus Meissner wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 08:42:04AM -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> >> I just shot about 400 pictures on a trip, and I was wondering what the
> >> best way to manage the Digital camera on SuSE 10.1. While I am a long
> >> time SuSE user, the other camera we have is my wife's and she uses that
> >> other OS. I know I should easily be able to transfer the pictures as
> >> the system will view the camera as a removable disk (or I can use the
> >> SD card directly). I'm more interested in managing the pictures and
> >> adding captions.
> >
> > digikam is a nice all-in-one application for this purpose.
> >
> > Tastes might vary however.
> >
> > Ciao, Marcus
>
> I'll endorse the digikam route.  I've been using this for a while with
> both my phonecam (snapshots, USB storage device mode) and Nikon D80
> (automatically detected via USB) and the program supports both devices
> well.  Organisation is well done, with proper tagging of the pictures,
> ratings etc.  My only niggle is the amount of time taken to convert to a
> lossless file format after importing, but apart from that, it works well
> for me.

Would agree with the comments for digikam - particularly for KDE users. If
using GNOME I guess f-spot might also fit the bill. And as the OP mentioned
that his wife is using Windows, he might want to consider Picasa from Google.
With the very obvious caveat that Picasa on Linux is a wine app and looks and
feels a bit alien... but if it's what you're used to on Windows it's
definitely an option for Linux.

Jon (I'm a Canon man...)

PS Hope you're well Pete - you should invest in a card reader... they're very
cheap and incredibly useful.