List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Bash & automatic screen
From:       Randall R Schulz <rschulz () sonic ! net>
Date:       2007-06-28 22:13:07

On Thursday 28 June 2007 14:56, Jan Karjalainen wrote:
> Konsole is what I'm using.
> But Konsole doesn' t seem to try reconnection to an existing session.
> I'll see what I can come up with after playing with .bash_profile.

Two things:

1) .bash_profile or .bash_login are likely to prove problematic. They're
invoked to get your entire KDE session going, not just for the
interactive shells in, say, Konsole.

   I'd suggest using the "pstree" command to see the "family history" of
processes that make up a working KDE session.

2) You can reconfigure / redefine or define your own Konsole sessions.
You should be able to make a variant of the existing Screen that
re-attaches (or whatever it is you do with Screen). And don't overlook
the possibility of a simple shell script to set up the kind of Screen
session you need.

All in all, I'd steer clear of the .bash_* files, since they're likely
to be invoked for purposes and at times that would be inappropriate to
get Screen involved.

Good luck.

Randall Schulz