List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Extracting still frame from video
From:       Juergen Weigert <jw () suse ! de>
Date:       2007-04-23 12:47:44

On Apr 21, 07 03:18:39 -0400, Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> I want to get equally spaced frames from this video:
> http://baldur.globalsymmetry.com/fact911/videos/911.wtc.2.north.very.close.slow.wmv
>
> Now I can't even use ksnapshot or xwd because it blanks the
> video window when I try to grab it.  So in other words, someone put in some
> effort to brake a perfectly functioning program to please lawyers.

You believe we apply digital media restrictions?
Wrong conclusion, we don't.
Lawyers are innocent, this time.

Your xine uses xvideo or some other accelerated driver to speed up display.
The exact video driver is the first one that is printed by xvinfo.
Maybe only the ordering is now different, and you now have one that writes
to a hardware overlay where the previous one wrote to the framebuffer.

Tools like ksnapshot do not see hardware overlays, as this data
bypasses the X-Server.

You can press 't' in xine to get a snapshot anyway.

You can also run 'xine -V xshm' to force it pumping through the X-Server.
This is slow, but should make sure that everything ends up in the
framebuffer so that ksnapshot is happy.

We did put in some effort to chose fast video drivers.
Thereby breaking your application as an unfortunate side-effect.

Sorry for that,
                Jw.

--
 o \  Juergen Weigert  paint it green! __/ _=======.=======_