List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Grub won't boot Windoze
From:       Mike McCallister <workingwriter () prodigy ! net>
Date:       2007-04-19 1:55:14

On Tuesday 17 April 2007 14:09, Darryl Gregorash wrote:

> >> <snip>
>
> Is that XP? If so, you should not need to remap the drives at all. Where
> was it originally installed? To the first partition on the second drive?
> (D: in Windows-speak). If so, then your Windows section should read:
>
> rootnoverify (hd1,0)
> chainloader (hd1,0) +1
>
> If it was installed to C: instead (which I presume is the first
> partition of the first drive), then this should read:
>
> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
> chainloader (hd0,0) +1
>
> You can add "makeactive" between the two lines if you wish, but unless
> you are also booting a DOS-like OS (eg. Win98), it is absolutely
> unnecessary to do so. XP (or 2K) should already have made the partition
> active when you installed that.

Darryl,

If you're asking where Grub is installed, I'm not sure. XP is installed on its
own physical drive, /dev/sda (aka hd1 in device.map). SUSE is installed
on /dev/hda (aka hd0). Grub initially had just the plain rootnoverify and
chainloader lines (and I think I've tried all the hd0 and hd0 permutations
for those lines, and XP still won't boot.

I did remove the makeactive line from menu.lst after your note, but that
didn't make any difference.

The fact that I get a second Grub window when I choose to boot XP might be a
clue, perhaps. I was playing with all sorts of settings in YaST, and I'm
starting to wonder whether I've got a copy of Grub on each physical drive.
I'm not sure how I'd remove the copy on the NTFS drive, though. Thoughts
appreciated.

Mike McCallister

--

Mike McCallister		ProTek Writing Services
workingwriter@prodigy.net	"Translation from the Geek a specialty"