List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Communicating with Vista
From:       Catimimi <catimimi () libertysurf ! fr>
Date:       2007-04-03 17:30:58

Paul Abrahams a écrit :
> I just got a new laptop with Vista preinstalled (I'm sure I'm hardly the only
> one).  Apparently Vista has trouble communicating with Windows XP, and the XP
> solution is to install a protocol called LLTP.  A Google search revealed that
> there's been some effort to make LLTP Linux-compatible, but the only
> information I could find about that was intended for developers.
>
> Has anyone here succeeded in establishing network visibility with Vista, in
> either or both directions?
>
> Paul

Hello,

I have no problem in order to communicate between a Vista computer and a
XP computer.
Each computer see the other one and I'm able to create, copy delete
files without any
problem.
I'll try to explain what I did, but as I'm french please excuse my poor
english !

As I don't want to allow everybody (ie children) to share my files I
don't use normal sharing
in XP and instead I gave permissions on a user basis. If you do that and
if you are logged on
both computers with the same name and password, I'm able to see my files
from XP, from Vista
and from Linux. I just logged with my wife login and password, she can
see my XP computer, but
is not able to enter the shared folders and she doesn't see the Vista
computer !!

So do use user based sharings, and log with the same name and password.

Hoping to have replied to the question.

Michel.