List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] no sound sharing
From:       Richard Pace <rpace () sbcglobal ! net>
Date:       2007-02-08 13:50:37

On Wednesday 07 February 2007 19:53, John Andersen wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 February 2007, Richard Pace wrote:
> > Hi:
> > I've reported this on kde-linux list.  No response yet.
> >
> > Went from SuSE 9.3 with KDE 3.5.2? (maybe; 3.5 something anyway) to SuSE
> > 10.2 KDE 3.5.5.  Different hardware also.  Old hardware was an old Compaq
> > AP 200 and I don't remember the sound card type.  New hardware is HP
> > Pavilion Athlon Dual core.
> >
> > My sound will not share.  That is, if I run Realplayer to stream radio,
> > no KDE notifications will sound.  If I stop Realplayer, then KDE
> > notification will sound.
> >
> > I have a MCP51 High Definition Audio card.
> > KDE is configured with ALSA, full duplex (same problem with full duplex
> > off). I have tried other options in KDE: autodetect, same problem; OSS,
> > only KDE sound works (no sound with Realplayer); Jack, no sound.
>
> One solution might be to send all sound thru arts, although I was under
> the impression this was not going to be necessary and Alsa could handle
> that sound sharing directly.

I probably misspoke. KDE is using arts.  I don't know much about this, but in
KDE sound system configuration, the hardware tab has the option to select the
audio device - ALSA is one option, OSS is another, JACK is another,
autodetect is another.  I've tried them all.  Currently it is set to ALSA.

Regards,
Richard