List:       opensuse
Subject:    [opensuse] Installed Nvidia Driver, GRUB hosed
From:       Mike McCallister <workingwriter () prodigy ! net>
Date:       2007-01-15 12:59:31

Hi Folks!

System Info: openSUSE 10.2, dual-booting with WinXP, AMD64, Nvidia FX5200
video.

Bizarre problem. I installed the proprietary Nvidia drivers via YaST in
openSUSE 10.2 yesterday. YaST reported that the 2.6.18-6-Jen43-default kernel
was incompatible with the Nvidia kernel patch, and reinstalled the
2.6.18.2-34-default kernel from the 10.2 CDs.

When I rebooted, GRUB had disappeared; all I got was a blinking cursor. I
booted to the openSUSE CD and tried unsuccessfully to get to YaST in Rescue
Mode. I then tried Repair Mode from the CD. The Repair fixed a problem on
the /home partition (which I hadn't noticed before). The GRUB page didn't
list Windows (which is on a separate physical drive), so I added this. The
Repair Mode could not write the new GRUB (Error 21: Selected Disk does not
exist). Still no love on the reboot.

Went to Install Mode, and managed to Boot Installed System. Went to YaST and
configured the Boot Loader (again) to include Windows. No error messages from
YaST this time. When I rebooted, however, I got a No Operating System message
(from GRUB?).

I can still boot to the installed SUSE system from the CD, but not from the
hard drive. Here's my /boot/grub/menu.lst:

# Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Sun Jan 14 20:33:42 CST 2007
default 0
timeout 8
##YaST - generic_mbr
gfxmenu (hd0,1)/boot/message
##YaST - activate

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title openSUSE 10.2
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 vga=0x31a resume=/dev/hda1
splash=silent showopts elevator=
    initrd /boot/initrd

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: floppy###
title Floppy
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader (fd0)+1

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
title Failsafe -- openSUSE 10.2
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 vga=normal showopts ide=nodma apm=off
acpi=off noresume edd=off 3
    initrd /boot/initrd

title Windows
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader (hd1,0)+1

Hope someone has an idea. Many thanks!

Mike McCallister
--

Mike McCallister		ProTek Writing Services
workingwriter@prodigy.net	"Translation from the Geek a specialty"