List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Can you say ripoff - OT
From:       S Glasoe <srglasoe () comcast ! net>
Date:       2007-01-10 12:43:54

On Wednesday 10 January 2007 05:03, Damon Register wrote:
> I have never understood why the install process is able to figure out
> a good setting but fails on the configuring later.
>
> Damon Register

Because the install routine uses a generic, works everywhere driver. The
install routine then allows you to configure a different video driver,
tests it in what we all hope is a valid test and then restarts to use the
new driver. This process doesn't always work. There are way too many
possible combinations of video cards, monitors, mainboard/BIOS settings to
work all the problems out to get it right in _all_ cases. I see the same
problems in the Windows world. Its better but then you have 100's of more
people in hardware manufacturer labs running thousands of more hardware
configurations debugging these things than the Linux community.

Stan