List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] how to install usb external disk
From:       Basil Chupin <blchupin () tpg ! com ! au>
Date:       2006-12-24 13:44:47

Primm wrote:
>> So what you are saying is that you got this disc manager from the HD
>> manufacturer and it would not recognise the new drive you just bought?
>>
>>> Cheers, Steve. My hardware supplier is open today :-)
>> Well whose a lucky boy then? :-) .
>>
>> Tell us the outcome of this venture. (I always like to know the results
>> for future reference.)
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
> I exchanged the disk having seen the other fail under their XP test box and
> made them show me the new one being recognised. I plugged it in to my 10.2
> server and it worked without me having to do anything apart from destroy the
> ntfs it was filled with. I have other questions now in the 'usb external disk
> questions' thread.

Now this is most unusual to have a faulty HD for sale. Most unusual.

If the new one is the same brand as the faulty one then I wouldn't put
anything of value on this new one but use it for a month before putting
any 'real' data on it -- I think you said you bought it for backup
purposes. If an HD is going to fail it usually fails within a month. The
worry here is that if the new one is the same brand as the failed on
then it may be possible that both come from the same (bad) batch. May
not be the case of course but I, personally, would play it safe and not
use it for the backups - unless the backups are not that important if
the HD fails and has to be replaced.

> Thanks for your help and interest.

Thanks for letting me know about the outcome.

Cheers.

--
In a period of great joy and pleasure you are comforted by the thought
that tragedy is just around the corner.