List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] unable to access website after 10.2 install
From:       Leendert Meyer <leen.meyer () home ! nl>
Date:       2006-12-19 15:38:31

On Tuesday 19 December 2006 13:51, James Wright wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 December 2006 2:28 am, John Andersen wrote:
> > There is something very odd about  the TCP stack in 10.2.
> >
> > There are other differences in these two machines obviously
> > but the only machine I can't view that page on is 10.2
>
> It wouldn't be the TCP stack (at least I don't think), as some
> 10.2 installs can reach the site.  As such, it also should not be
> the kernel itself, although it may be implicated.  Is there a
> pattern of NIC brands or drivers being used that can or can't load
> this site?  I believe that the IBM machines are using an Intel
> chipset, and apparently can reach the site.
> What is everybody else using?  Broadcom?  Wireless with MadWifi?
> This could make a significant difference.

---8<---
leen@ws-03:~> wget -S -O- http://www.marymount.edu/
--16:22:13--  http://www.marymount.edu/
           => `-'
Resolving www.marymount.edu... 198.100.0.33
Connecting to www.marymount.edu|198.100.0.33|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
---8<---

And then it sits there...

/sbin/lspci | grep -i ether:
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Ethernet
Controller (rev a1)
01:08.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)

Checked with as well as eth0 as eth1. Both dhcp configured. After
checking eth0, I did: ifdown eth0, replug cable from eth0 to eth1,
ifup eth1.

2nd box on lan with SL-10.1 and same type Realtek card works OK.

Cheers,

Leen