List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] setting file permissions/umask
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () ij ! net>
Date:       2006-12-19 10:19:58

On 2006/12/19 01:21 (GMT-0600) Darryl Gregorash apparently typed:

>> How do I find out the current umask setting without creating a new file
>> and examining its permissions? It doesn't seem to exist in the output of
>> the set command.

> umask

Too logical. :-p

> For the next two, if you want it done recursively in all subdirectories,
> add --recursive or -R to the commandlines.

>> I want all regular files in a particular public directory to be
>> rw-rw-r--. How do I set that up?

> chmod 0664 <dirname>/*

I know how to do that. What I meant was a way to prevent any files from
ever existing there with any status other than rw-rw-r--. IOW, when some
user with a umask of 022 copies his rw-r--r-- file from somewhere else
to this directory, the copy should automatically and instantly acquire
rw-rw-r-- by virtue of its placement there.

>> I want all regular files in a particular public directory to have one
>> particular owner and group. How do I set that up?

> chown username:groupname <dirname>/*

Same as previous, automatically always one and only one owner and group
for every file placed in the particular location.

These functions are apparently possible for nfs shares via the export
options all_squash,anonuid=###,anongid=###, so they ought to be possible
for all local users as well.
--
"Let your conversation be always full of grace." Colossians 4:6 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409