List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Unmount NFS when hibernate?
From:       Matthias Hopf <mhopf () suse ! de>
Date:       2006-12-18 14:58:26

On Dec 18, 06 15:26:46 +0200, Andre Truter wrote:
> I can finally hibernate (suspend-to-disk) my laptop again, but now I
> ran into a problem with NFS mounts that are hanging.
>
> I use NFS mounts to machines at home and I forget to unmount them
> before I hibernate the laptop.  When I get to a client, the NFS mount
> is stale and it screws up a lot of things.  Nautilus crash and the
> machine keeps on trying to get the mount back.
> I cannot unmount it as it is wedged there.  I had to reboot the
> machine to get it to release the mount.  So much for the advantage of
> hibernating.

umount -f -l <mountpoint>

But I assume there's some bug lying deeper in the pit, as even when
resuming in the same environment, old mount points don't work any more.
This is yet to be investigated, though.

> In the past I use a wrapper script that checks for NFS mounts and
> unmount them before hibernating.  I could set the battery monitor to
> use that script to hibernate, but now, in SuSE 10.2, the battery
> monitor that is used does not have that option anymore.  The shutdown
> toolbar applet also do not give options to configure anything.

/etc/sysconfig/powersave/events: EVENT_GLOBAL_*
You should be able to add a script here. It has the advantage, that it
is always called, no matter how the suspend was triggered (except for by
using the direct kernel interface).

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf@suse.de>       __        __   __