List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] How to check the MD5 checksum in Windows
From:       "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas () telefonica ! net>
Date:       2006-12-18 12:19:36

The Sunday 2006-12-17 at 19:11 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> > Sometimes it happens, specially when the download is interrupted and
> > continued later, and the file is large. Ftp has been known to
> > fail. ...
>
> Well, once failures occur, all bets are off when it comes to protocols
> such as HTTP and FTP. That's why you're better off using Azureus, which
> is highly failure-tolerant.

I know. But slower, too (by half at least, in my case). And as I know of
an easy way to repair a bad download, having download errors is no longer
so important, once I know there are errors.

> > > Again. Use R/W (i.e., rewritable) media. The best of both worlds.
> >
> > It is way more expensive, and the units I have burn at 2x o 4x only.
> > Furthermore, they fail: currently I can't reliably burn R/W dvd; I
> > haven't investigated it much.
>
> More expensive? You only need one disc for any number of attempts,
> including the progression of releases associated with the alpha ..
> beta .. RC sequence.

I reserve my only two R/W media for occasions that really need them. As I
said, they burn very slowly (2x) and they have limited burn cycles. One of
them does no longer work, or my new drive unit can't handle it, I don't
know. In any case, I can't burn it.

Also, I want a permanent copy of the DVD, not temporary.

> > Anyway, burning and checking normal media takes somewhat less than an
> > hour in my system. Only burning a R/W takes an hour at least, plus
> > the checking. If the result is bad, then I have to check the image,
> > then redownload if it was bad... that's an hour lost.
>
> Yes, but as I said, you have to verify the disc anyway. I still think
> the optimum approach is to use the most reliable (overall) protocol,
> BitTorrent. Then burn and verify the disc, but don't bother verifying
> the download, which you've every reason to believe is intact, since you
> used an extremely redundant and resilient protocol (BitTorrent). Only
> verify the final result, the disc.

In terms of time spent, it is faster for me to check the download md5sum
first, than burn and later check.

> > > There's no need to reboot. YaST can verify the checksum of new
> > > release media.
> >
> > Remember that the OP was using windows to burn the original image, he
> > may not have a linux running yet. Or it may be another distro, no
> > yast.
>
> True, but I'm responding to your point that rebooting was a tedious
> means of verifying a disc. It's not necessary for you, 'cause you're
> already in the enlightened SuSE Linux camp! You are running SuSE Linux,
> aren't you??

Yes, but I also have me reasons to check first (cheaper and faster) :-)

- --
Cheers,
       Carlos E. R.