List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] How to check the MD5 checksum in Windows
From:       Randall R Schulz <rschulz () sonic ! net>
Date:       2006-12-18 3:11:28

On Sunday 17 December 2006 18:53, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Sometimes it happens, specially when the download is interrupted and
> continued later, and the file is large. Ftp has been known to
> fail. ...

Well, once failures occur, all bets are off when it comes to protocols
such as HTTP and FTP. That's why you're better off using Azureus, which
is highly failure-tolerant.

> > > Burning takes some time, the dvd media has a cost - even if it is
> > > relatively cheap -, and I hate to make more coasters, I already
> > > have too many of them. Further, the writer unit wears down, the
> > > lenses are made of some kind of plastic which ends by deforming
> > > and inutilizes the unit.
> >
> > Again. Use R/W (i.e., rewritable) media. The best of both worlds.
>
> It is way more expensive, and the units I have burn at 2x o 4x only.
> Furthermore, they fail: currently I can't reliably burn R/W dvd; I
> haven't investigated it much.

More expensive? You only need one disc for any number of attempts,
including the progression of releases associated with the alpha ..
beta .. RC sequence.

> Anyway, burning and checking normal media takes somewhat less than an
> hour in my system. Only burning a R/W takes an hour at least, plus
> the checking. If the result is bad, then I have to check the image,
> then redownload if it was bad... that's an hour lost.

Yes, but as I said, you have to verify the disc anyway. I still think
the optimum approach is to use the most reliable (overall) protocol,
BitTorrent. Then burn and verify the disc, but don't bother verifying
the download, which you've every reason to believe is intact, since you
used an extremely redundant and resilient protocol (BitTorrent). Only
verify the final result, the disc.

> > > And finally, I would hate to reboot the computer with the
> > > newwwwww dvd, and then learn I got a new coaster. I prefer to
> > > know where I stand as soon as possible.
> >
> > There's no need to reboot. YaST can verify the checksum of new
> > release media.
>
> Remember that the OP was using windows to burn the original image, he
> may not have a linux running yet. Or it may be another distro, no
> yast.

True, but I'm responding to your point that rebooting was a tedious
means of verifying a disc. It's not necessary for you, 'cause you're
already in the enlightened SuSE Linux camp! You are running SuSE Linux,
aren't you??

> --
> Cheers,
>        Carlos E. R.