List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] How to check the MD5 checksum in Windows
From:       "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas () telefonica ! net>
Date:       2006-12-18 2:53:17

The Sunday 2006-12-17 at 18:17 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> > aria2c, a metalink client, which uses ftp and http protocols to
> > download from different servers.
>
> Maybe using immature protocols and clients is not worth any savings it
> seems to offer?

I wanted to try it. And my failure (dis)proved a point and motivated a
debate and improvements.

> > Azureus is a bittorrent client, ...
>
> Yeah, I know that...
>
> > But, AFAIK, both ftp and http downloads do not have error checking
> > nor correction capabilities, other than what tcp has.
>
> Which is significant. It's very unlikely that undetected packet
> corruption will pass the TCP checksumming.

Sometimes it happens, specially when the download is interrupted and
continued later, and the file is large. Ftp has been known to fail. The
rpm package contains checksum (and recently, gpg signatures), for
instance: they would not have implemented checksums if they thought
download methods were fulltrusty.

> > Burning takes some time, the dvd media has a cost - even if it is
> > relatively cheap -, and I hate to make more coasters, I already have
> > too many of them. Further, the writer unit wears down, the lenses are
> > made of some kind of plastic which ends by deforming and inutilizes
> > the unit.
>
> Again. Use R/W (i.e., rewritable) media. The best of both worlds.

It is way more expensive, and the units I have burn at 2x o 4x only.
Furthermore, they fail: currently I can't reliably burn R/W dvd; I haven't
investigated it much.

Anyway, burning and checking normal media takes somewhat less than an hour
in my system. Only burning a R/W takes an hour at least, plus the
checking. If the result is bad, then I have to check the image, then
redownload if it was bad... that's an hour lost.

> > And finally, I would hate to reboot the computer with the newwwwww
> > dvd, and then learn I got a new coaster. I prefer to know where I
> > stand as soon as possible.
>
> There's no need to reboot. YaST can verify the checksum of new release
> media.

Remember that the OP was using windows to burn the original image, he may
not have a linux running yet. Or it may be another distro, no yast.

- --
Cheers,
       Carlos E. R.