List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Where are system update instructions? Need to update
From:       Darryl Gregorash <raven () accesscomm ! ca>
Date:       2006-12-16 19:38:51

On 2006-12-16 10:26, HG wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Thanks for the tip. But...
>
> On 12/16/06, John Andersen <jsa@pen.homeip.net> wrote:
>> On Saturday 16 December 2006 02:05, HG wrote:
>> >  But I have no idea how to do this. If I open "System update"
>> > from YaST, it want's to update my system to 10.0... which is what I
>> > want to update from!
>>
>> Point an installation source to a 10.2 repository and then
>> try the System Update...
>
> <snip>
>
> Jdd, thanks for your tip also. I do not have any spare partitions
> where I could copy stuff (or keep 10.0 around) so I have to be able to
> boot from the net.

You do not need any spare partitions if you just change your
installation sources to point to 10.2 repositories.  See
http://en.opensuse.org/Updating_SUSE_Linux

You must do:

1. change *all* repositories to 10.2 sources, including extra ones like
Packman or guru.
2. ensure that *all* packages which cannot be updated are removed (the
dependency check will be useful here, but you might have to wade through
a lot of choices, particularly if you do not adhere to point 1.)

Make sure you read and understand the warning at the top of the URL I
posted above.

--
The best way to accelerate a computer running Windows is at 9.81 m/s ²