List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] test for hdd
From:       Leendert Meyer <leen.meyer () home ! nl>
Date:       2006-12-12 17:22:40

On Tuesday 12 December 2006 17:19, jdd wrote:
> do you know any utility able to do for a hdd what memtest do
> for RAM?
>
> It seems like I have HW problems and I can't figure out
> what. fsck don't gives anything.
>
> symptoms: on heavy work, linux freezes, disk is corrupted,
> but as soon as I reformat it fsck -c don't complain anymore,
> but the freeze keep occuring again. tested with ext3 and
> reiserfs :-(
>
> I don't remember having seen badblocks listed by fsck,

There is a utility called "badblocks". See it's manpage for usage. It
lives in /sbin/ (of course), and is probably already installed.

Maybe this is what you're looking for?

> arrors where like date of the superblock in the future or
> inode error (and there has been a crash, so this is not
> surprising)
>
> the cpu could be hot, but I fixed the fan (some oil) and
> still freezes :-(

Any other disk drives in the same PC that do not have this behavior,
or this drive showing same erroneous behavior in a different PC are
indications dat it might be a faulty drive.

Cheers,

Leen