List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] NO PERSONAL REPLIES TO POSTINGS ON THIS LIST!!
From:       Anders Johansson <andjoh () rydsbo ! net>
Date:       2006-12-08 18:50:01

On Friday 08 December 2006 19:12, ken wrote:
> On 12/08/2006 12:00 PM somebody named Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> > On Dec 8 2006 17:47, Hartmut Meyer wrote:
> >> ... unless he invites people to vote on this.
> >>
> >> And guess what: he did.
> >>
> >> And guess again: the majority of voters wanted it the way it is now (the
> >> setup you disagree with). Go and search in the archives. It's just a few
> >> months ago.
> >
> > A perfect example of why democracy sucks. There are always some users
> > who don't care, don't vote, vote wrong or whatnot. Oh, and you are
> > not including all those future users that will subscribe later in the
> > vote. (We could re-vote on a regular basis to workaround this.)
> > Personally, I would have been more fine if the list administrator(s)
> > dictated the new mode.
> >

> > 	-`J'

As I have said many many times before: I wish people who felt this strongly
about these petty things would voice their complaints OFF-LINE. THESE "¤#"#¤"
¤% THREADS TAKE UP 50 MILLION PERCENT MORE BANDWIDTH AND IS A TRILLION TIMES
MORE ANNOYING. "¤#¤%"Q¤% STOP IT

> As Churchill said, democracy is the worst form of government, except for
> all the other forms of government.

The actual quote is "No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise.
Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government
except all those other forms that have been tried from time to
time" (Hansard, Nov. 11 1947)

The main distinction being that something that has yet to be tried may be
better.

Personally I'm in favour of Plato's enlightened despot. it's just a pity that
it doesn't work in practice

Except on this mailing list, of course :)

> And Einstein, when told that 2000 Nazi scientists had voted that the
> theory of relativity was wrong, said 'You cannot vote on what is the
> truth.'

This quote however I can't find. Nor any reference that the theory of
relativity was renounced in Germany (there are many many things said about
Germany in this period of history, but ineptitude in the physical sciences
isn't one of them)