List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] XGL/Compiz benchmark
From:       "Marcel Mourguiart" <mourguiart () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-07-31 21:28:43

> On Jul 27, 06 16:25:13 -0400, Marcel Mourguiart wrote:
> > Hi, i'm a reviewer from ChileHardware.com we are preparing a VGA round
> up
> > review for linux, with nvidia and ati vga.
> >
> > *Is there a a way we can benchmark XGL/Compiz* ??
>
> Boo. No clue.
> As it's typically just fast enough...

Maybe i can benchmark indirectly, glxgears with  and with out xgl and the
same with games and other graphics benchmarks.

Also as the code is pretty new, currently profiling would be more
> important than benchmarking.
>
> > Wish distribution you think is better for this ?? 10.0, 10.1, 10.2 (
> alpha
> > ).
>
> Factory. The code is changing too fast.

The problem there is that factory is fine with XGL reviews, but part of the
review is the stability of the system, i haven't install factory so I'm not
really sure how stable is it.

The review is not XGL specific, but a way to have a vga map in linux, we
already have that for windows and every body know nvidia have better
performance in Linux, but how much better ??

> This benchmark is going to take more than a month, whats versions of
> > XGL/Compiz, do you recommend ?? We are going to test games too.
>
> Hm. Probably take the latest possible. Though David might want to
> comment on that.
>
> I'm not exactly sure whether benchmarking is already usefull at the
> current state, but it could be a good possibility to confirm my opinion
> that NVidia cards look better ;)

Yeah, nvidia looks better :) I just hope the new owner give a little more
pushing to linux in ATI.

--
Marcel Mourguiart