List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] bash \r
From:       Jan Engelhardt <jengelh () linux01 ! gwdg ! de>
Date:       2006-07-27 14:57:00

>> > Hmmm ... how fast or better how slow is your system?
>> > Beside this, on which terminal or terminal emluator
>> > does this happen for you?  Then the locale which is
>> > used would be interesting due to the fact that multi
>> > byte handling is very slow.

As said, this becomes slow over the combination of high-latency links
like ISDN (the more even with 9600 serial) with lots-a-hops (see below)

  ssh -t user@gateway "ssh -t user@gateway2 'ssh -t root@internalmachine'"

>> This is on an AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+ with 10.1 on KDE Konsole.  locale is
>> en_US.UTF-8.

*nod* locale:
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC=POSIX
LC_TIME=POSIX
LC_COLLATE=POSIX
LC_MONETARY=POSIX
LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
LC_PAPER=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

>Hmmm ... with this locale within a UTF-8 enabled terminal
>I'm able to reproduce this behaviour.  It seems that the
>prompt is written twice time where the first or second
>write overwrites the string without the newline.

I talked to the readline maintainer; says the problem (both repainting too much
and overpainting) is known and will be handled much better in readline 5.2.

Jan Engelhardt