List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Re: MiniSUSE project page.
From:       Rajko M <rmatov101 () charter ! net>
Date:       2006-07-23 17:42:57

Pascal Bleser wrote:
> Rajko M wrote:

Thanks for examples, I need them to clarify my ideas.

>>> All we have to do is to continue the dream.
>
> Well, yeah, you could also dream of having a car that drives 800 km/h,
> has room for 5000 liters of luggage, and all that for 100 EUR, but it's
> still not feasible - at least it's not realistic ;)

Pascal,

exactly the same was what Linus had in front of him. Many people
compared first kernel attempts with existing Windows and
laughed long.

Time, strong wish to have more, and work gave what we have now.

What made people choose Linux over DOS and Windows was potential to
develop in something great, not the easy of use, not ready to go
solutions. It was just a dream and strong will to succeed.

The MiniSUSE will try to make recapitulation of present and follow the
goal of simplicity.

You mentioned 20% is rough estimate how much system can be downsized.
That is 80 to 160 MB. With cheap hardware that makes a lot of work for
small gain, but when people start to analyze options it will show up
more for sure.

I'm long with computers and I remember first of them that used hundreds
of kB for not so different capabilities that today call for GB.

How come?
That is what MiniSUSE will look for.

--
Regards,