List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Help, can I trust  ZEN
From:       "T. Lodewick" <jbscout_opsubeta () libitum ! de>
Date:       2006-07-22 17:30:38

Gunnar schrieb:
> I did an update with ZEN some days ago, and it broke my system.
> Zen killed my X system, I running a 10.1 with a Nvidia card.
> I have tried to ask in this list, but no one have replayed.
> I have managed to get my X to work, but I still have problem with sound,
> it a bit choppy, work fine when I play cd, if I try to play a   MP3
> file, it
> is choppy, streaming audio with Amarok, the sound is choppy, when I log
> in to KDE,
> the start sound is playing its startup sound much longer then it used to do.
>
> Now ZEN is telling my that there are 34 new updates ready, several X files.
> If I start the update, my system will break again.
> What shall  I do.

hello Gunnar,

I don't realy know if it will help you, but about the "several X-files"
I can say that that was the same here.

but in the update before there was an update of the kernel (so it is now
the same as in SLED 10), and that means that I've had to re-install my
nVidia-driver becuase it needs a new kernel-interface. but that was not
realy new to me, so "no surprise" yet.

what I have done after the update of the kernel:
- a reboot to get the new kernel active
- after that, the system starts in console, so I looged in as root
- I go to the kernel source. thats in /var/src/linux/
  (I hope you have installed the kernel-sources ?)
- the I called
  ~ make cloneconfig
  ~ make modules_prepare
  that will produce a lot of scrolling text; thats the ouput of the
  make-commands and is normal
- after that, I get to my local downloaded nVidia-driver and
  started the installer
  ~ sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-XXXX-pkg1.run
  it will say something about a allready installed driver that will be
removed, and something that it will look for a new kerne-interface at
the website, and after all it says that it needs to compile its owen
interface. thats all OK. after compiling, you have to setup your graphic
driver ( need to be done in runlevel 3 !)
  ~ init 3
  ~ sax2 -m 0=nvidia ( yes, the 0 is a zero, not the letter ! )
after that you should normaly start X with a 'init 5', or take a fresh
reboot.

about your sound: I can't say anything about it. the only problem that I
have had was after an update of some gnome-files at monday - my XMMS
didn't play any MP3-files. after looking at the searchmachines I found a
little TAR-file with a new mp3-plug-in that needed to be extraced to the
plug-in-folder of XMMS, and all was fine again.

I realy don't know if that helps you - my knowlege about linux is not
the best, and I don't know if relay all steps above are realy needfull -
so guys, don't smile at me ... :-)

best regards from berlin.
JBScout aka Thomy